Thursday, June 2, 2011

Grammar Peeves

When did the accepted spelling of "awww" (meaning, "isn't that sweet) and "ah" (as in, "oos and ahs" become "awe"?

Last I checked, the definition of awe was: an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like (Dictionary.com)

I know it's a silly thing to pick at, but things like this drive me batty. So many blog entries, Facebook posts, and other online writings are followed by comments with this misuse. I don't recall it being such a common misspelling in the past.

It makes me crazy when I see a photo of a friend's adorable newborn followed by comments like, "Awe, she is so cute!" or a Facebook post at the end of a stressful week like, "Awe, so good to put my feet up and relax with a cold one."

Nitpicking, I know. Where's my wine?

No comments: